US OCIE Lists Digital Assets As Top Priority For 2020
The Securities and Exchange Commission’s Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE) has announced its top priorities for 2020.
The list, released on Tuesday and published annually, contains categories that are viewed as potential risks to investors and US capital markets. Digital assets are identified as one of several key priorities among the Commission’s broader mission of enforcing the federal securities laws, proposing new rules and regulating the securities industry.
According to SEC Chairman Jay Clayton,
“OCIE’s 2020 examination priorities identify key areas of risk, both existing and emerging, that we expect self-regulatory organizations (SROs), clearing firms, investment advisers and other market participants to identify and mitigate.”
As the digital asset space reaches new corridors through innovative blockchain and cryptocurrency platforms, utility tokens, speculative new assets and consumer applications, OCIE will continue to identify and examine SEC-registered firms engaged in the industry.
OCIE 2020 Priorities
- Retail investors, including seniors and people saving for retirement
- Market Infrastructure
- Information security
- Focus areas relating to investment advisers, investment companies, broker-dealers, and municipal advisors
- Anti-money laundering programs
- Financial technology (fintech) and innovation, including digital assets and electronic investment advice
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB) oversight
US OCIE Lists Digital Assets As Top Priority For 2020 – Source: https://dailyhodl.com
Click here to buy/sell Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies on Binance exchange with a 10% trading fee discount.